Monday 9 January 2012

'...my favourite decoration...'

As with every Star Wars movie, Return of the Jedi was promoted in cinemas worldwide with a plethora of artwork.

For this entry I'm going to stick to the poster releases for the main territories of the US/UK (chiefly because some of the more esoteric artwork for the foreign markets is worthy of any entry all of it's own) which are pieces of artwork emblazoned in my minds eye as being possibly the greatest movie artwork ever. Or at least, the one that provides me with the biggest emotional response.

So let's have a look at them shall we?


The first image that we saw was the now legendary 'Revenge of the Jedi' poster.

As I'm sure you'll know if you are reading this Blog, Revenge of the Jedi, was the original title of the movie, changed in late 1982 when George decided that a it would not be in a Jedi Knight's nature to take revenge.

Not many of the original One-Sheets are still around but reprints can be had from Amazon.


















With the change of title came the change of poster. This poster debuted in theatres over the Thanksgiving Weekend 1982.


In March 1983 as the film edged it's way to completion the 'Style A' One Sheet was released harking back to the poster for Star Wars (as it was then still known).

An iconic image to be sure and one that would start to grace the covers of comics and tie-in movie books around the world.

A classic look with the blue sitting nicely against the stark black background.




















And then the floodgates opened...

On 27th May 1983 almost 6 years to the day of the release of the first movie Return of the Jedi exploded into cinemas.

It was accompanied by the Style B poster, clearly the most famous of posters for the film giving movbiegoers their first look at how the characters had changed from last we saw them and also debuting the Ewoks and other strange creatures.

This is, for me, my favourite Star Wars poster. It just has everything  that I want from a Star Wars poster.

I didn't actually see this poster until long after the film was out but when I did I fell in love with it and that love has never died.

But why did you not see this postewr? I hear you ask. Well then answer to that is...








Contained below...The UK Quad still ruled the roost at 'Picture Houses' up and down this sceptered isle and our art was, quite simply, just not as good.


Yes, all the elements are there but it just seems to cluttered. There's just too much going on. I can tell you one thing though. From the moment I saw the strange red-cloaked guards I wanted to know who they were and I also wanted to know who held Chewie captive.

I must have stared at this poster and the accompanying lobby cards for about 2 hours solid before the cinema opened and I was allowed in to see it (my Cousin Rachel's 10th Birthday Party if I remember correctly).

It was a film that didn't disappoint.

Then, some bright spark had a brainwave...'Why don't we put all three Star wars films on together? On the same day one after the other in the middle to the school Summer Holidays. The Kids will love it, the parents will love it and the cinemas will love it'



So it was that the marketing department of the UK arm of 20th Century Fox put together the single-most clunky piece of artwork there was ever been. It was however a 'once in a lifetime spectacular' well, that is if you were a dog because in 1987 to celebrate Star Wars' 10th Anniversary they re-released Return of the Jedi with, you guessed it...

All new art...


Of course, by now we'd all seen it a few times. It'd started showing up on TV, our VHS tapes were wearing thin with constant watching of all three films but rather than re-release all three films in a big way (as they would subsequently do) they chose only to re-release Jedi.

We, in the UK never had this re-release but I'll let you into a little secret. Shh...don't tell anyone...but...keep it under your hat now...

I can't stand this poster.

I think that it's because ever single expression on every character is off. They are recognisable but it's just 'off''.












and so a decade passed...The movies were digitally remastered and released on VHS in 1993 sporting all new box art but then we started to hear rumblings...the pre-internet fan grapevine was hearing whispers Uncle George was playing back in the Star Wars sandbox. There were to be updated versions of the movies released with added footage and effects that he couldn't accomplish whe  he originally made them.

What could possibly go wrong. The excitement around the world was fever pitch by the time the news broke properly. All the movies now retitled properly as Episodes and bearing the title 'Special Edition' would be released a fortnight apart from each other in Chronological order.


The three posters all bore a triptych of art from fan favourite Drew Struzan and when displayed side by side showed the true majesty of the Trilogy.

Return of the Jedi was released on the weekend of my 22nd Birthday. I had felt a little let down with Star Wars, I wasn't feeling some of the changes. Empire had restored my faith all of the amendments made only added to the film.

What would Jedi bring? That's the subject of another entry.

I hope you've enjoyed a look at the evolution of the Poster art for 'Return of the Jedi'. Check back soon for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment